kenE

Living soil upkeep?

Hello I am a complete novice about to attempt my first grow. I have a tent set up w ventilation and humidity control. I was planning on trying the flora flex quick fill bags with soil as a medium. As I understand it the term living soil means there are tons of microorganisms, bacteria, fungi, etc within the soil. I have also heard that because there are living organisms within the soil there is specific testing and feeding that is needed to keep the soil living, is this true? Would it be a waste to use living soil and not upkeep with testing and what not? suggestions on other mediums or information on how I could maintain a living soil would be great.

Hello I am a new grower myself. I have never grown with soil let alone living soil. I am finishing up my second grow, my first time with Athena and powersi and ran it sterile basically opposite of living soil and it could not have been easier and the results are amazing. No hate on living soil, salts just seemed like an easier route for me to take. Also I believe FloraFlex quickfill are compressed Coco, so if you did go with soil just get some grow bags. 

My nutrients: Athena Pro Line and Powersi

Medium: Mothers Eath 70coco 30 perlite

• Like 2

You're correct about the coco, I just now read about that. Would you recommend the current medium you're using or will Rockwool work

Rockwool is something I have not grown with before. I read somewhere coco can be the most forgiving for new growers.. I was super nervous at first but my ladies loved it. Ill be using that medium and nutrient line for seeable future. The one thing I made sure of is not over water while roots are getting established. I feel once I get some more grows under my belt and start to hone the craft I will attempt Rockwood. Best advice do the research on whichever medium you go with. 

• Like 1

May I suggest using “Roots Organics” . It is coco based organic! I have used it for my past 2 grows and love it! Filled with lots of the good stuff. 

Edited by xXelitegpXx

3 minutes ago, xXelitegpXx said:

May I suggest using “Roots Organics” . It is coco based organic! I have used it for my past 2 grows and love it! Filled with lots of the good stuff. Oh, and the bag doubles as a drainable pot ready to go. Just open,  plant the seed, and set it down !

2ADF6F12-0B34-4C54-944F-12C7AEBE92A2.jpeg